Caravan wheels, like those on your car should have the tightness of their fixing nuts/bolts checked after a few miles running following refitting, in case the wheel has settled or shifted slightly and allowed the fixings to loosen. Thereafter they should stay in position.
Many advocate checking their tightness with a torque wrench before every journey. Now I don’t know about you, but I don’t check my car’s wheel nuts before every journey, so I’m at a loss to understand why I should do the same with my caravan! However all the talk in the caravan world about lost wheels is worrying, so in order to allay that fear I now fit wheel nut indicators as sold by the caravan accessory firm Milenco. Not too expensive, they simply tap onto the wheel nuts and make a quick visual check easily possible.
We are fed up with the hard and uncomfortable bench seats in the front of our Lunar Clubman SB and need a greater level of comfort for our ageing arthritic carcasses when dossing in front of the television.
I’m therefore seriously considering taking the bed/bench seats out, to create a space for a couple of swivelling armchairs. Actually, they wouldn’t necessarily have to swivel, although that may be nice; just reclining and comfortable. It would be sufficient to be able to slide them into a preferred sitting position and then push them back to a storage position against the side wall.
Comfort must be the criterion!
I do appreciate that there is an amazing amount of clutter under the off-side seat that would have to be rearranged. The boiler would have to stay where it is, but it is right at the front and the most work would be around moving the electrical fuse box; nothing insurmountable there.
I suspect the chest of draws will have to go but that just lifts out.
I must take a measuring tape on my next visit to the van.
Given the sudden arrival of morning a frost today that needs to be soon to drain the water system. Always plenty to do with a caravan, apart from living in it.
Update: I have now finished a seat conversion that may be read HERE.
As toast aficionado’s we consider a dual four slice toaster an essential caravan appliance and cannot understand why they aren’t fitted as standard along with the microwave.
Ours resides on a shelf just inside the door accept when we are in towing mode, at which time it is consigned to the safety of a locker.
One problem with its location is that it’s directly under the smoke alarm and that has meant that we were plagued by false alarms; something which has caused the redistribution of bread crumbs on more than one occasion.
The solution lay in the purchase of a “toast-proof” smoke detector, I was a bit doubtful about such a claim, but it does actually work, or rather in this case not work!
It was successfully tested with a slightly over-charred slice at breakfast time in order to confirm the manufacturers claim.
Silence accompanied the appearance of the second slices. Success!
I weighed our caravan, a Lunar Clubman SB, as I was curious as to whether it was overweight when loaded for touring or not. I used a Reich caravan scale that I brought a couple of years ago and thought the result was interesting enough to share.
Nose weight: 85kg
Near-side wheel weight: 553kg
Off-side wheel weight: 735kg
Making a total of 1378 kg that fortunately is below the plated maximum of 1440kg.
The reason for the disparity between the two sides is that all the domestic equipment and the toilet is located on the off-side of our caravan.
I think a visit to a weighbridge is still warrented, if only to confirm the accuracy of the Reich scales. I shall have to check if there is a public weigh bridge close to my route when next towing.
I’ve just returned from filling my new Safefill cylinderfor the first time at my local Morrisons supermarket. It proved to be a much easier operation than I had envisaged.
I had to follow the instructions on the pump regarding attaching the pump’s nozzle to the cylinder, it’s a bayonet push on action followed by pushing a locking leaver into place. I then had to keep a button on the pump pushed until the required 14 litres were pumped in to the cylinder. I did remembered to close the valve on the cylinder before releasing the filler nozzle but there was still a release of a small amount of gas on disconnection.
The cost of £7.83 compares well with the £26 that the gas would have cost in a pre-filled 6 kg CalorLite® gas bottle, a considerable saving of about £18. Only another 8 refills to recover the cost of the Safefill cylinder, but at least I can now easily see how much liquid is left in the cylinder.
When my CalorLite® bottle is completely empty I shall return it and claim the balance of the deposit back, that should pay for another refill.
When I started this new blog I thought that I would transfer the material here from the old one, but I’ve changed my mind and will now only shift the content that may be of interest as short articles when time allows. At the moment I’m trying to get to grips with the intricacies of WordPress, the software with which I’m writing this blog.
We are preparing for another outing, one that will include going off-grid for the first time when we use a temporary holiday site (THS). Although I installed a solar roof panel to our van a while back its only duty so far has been to keep our battery charged when the van is in storage. I suppose it has done that while we have been on tour as well, but we have only used sites with electric hook up so far. This time we will be relying on sunlight and gas to operate the caravan.
Up to now we have used a Calor Lite gas cylinder but I have recently taken the decision to replace this with a Safefill refillable cylinder since Calor are withdrawing that range. That apart, one other reason for the change is that I can more easily see how much gas is left rather than having to rely on the tiny indicator on the Caller Lite cylinder.